Here is Friday’s news and gossip concerning Man United:
The Red Devils are plotting a £36m move for Valencia left-back and reported Chelsea target Jose Gaya, according to the Daily Express.
The La Liga side do not want to sell the 20-year-old, meaning that United will have to trigger his release clause which was raised from £13m when he signed a new deal earlier this year.
The reason for their Gaya bid appears to be the horrific injury suffered by Luke Shaw, who is set to be offered a psychologist’s help as part of his recovery, the Daily Express report.
The former Southampton man is set for a second operation today, following the double leg break.
However, former United captain Roy Keane believes that it is in the centre of the back four that Louis van Gaal needs to do the most strengthening, the Metro report.
Keane suggested that the side need at least one, but ideally two new centre-backs.
“The money United have invested, going forward they will be fine and in midfield they are not too bad but I think they are crying out for centre-halves, definitely one, possibly two,” he said.
Van Gaal appears to be listening to Keane’s advice, as the Metro suggest that he is going to try and bring Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane to Old Trafford.
A deal may be difficult however, as the Frenchman is becoming an important part of Rafa Benitez’s side, and tensions still remain over David de Gea’s failed move.
Finally, Neymar’s father has quashed speculation linking his son with a move to United, the Daily Express report.
“People can relax, Neymar is staying at Barca,” he said.