The American Major League Soccer has boomed over the last couple of seasons. A series of big football stars opted to join the MLS, in part due to financial reasons.
This week, the MLS Player’s Union released a report with the yearly wages of all the current MLS players. Orlando City’s and former AC Milan legend Ricardo Kaka leads the way with earnings of £4.95 million. Toronto FC’s and former Juventus player Sebastian ‘Mad Ant’ Giovinco is second with £4.94 million, with his team-mate Michael Bradley coming in third with £4.49 million.
Former Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard and former Chelsea legend Frank Lampard fill out the top five, just edging Italian star Andrea Pirlo and Spanish striker David Villa. Gerrard has a yearly wage of £4.23 million, while Lampard has one of £4.14 million. Didier Droga doesn’t make the top ten, as he earns ‘only’ £1.5 million per year at Montreal.
The top 10:
1. Ricardo Kaka (Orlando City) £4.95 million
2. Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC) £4.94m
3. Michael Bradley (Toronto FC) £4.49m
4. Steven Gerrard (Los Angeles Galaxy) £4.23m
5. Frank Lampard (New York City) £4.14m
6. Andrea Pirlo (New York City) £4.09m
7. David Villa (New York City) £3.87m
8. Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC) £3.33m
9. Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders) £3.18m
10. Giovanni Dos Santos (Los Angeles Galaxy) £2.93m
Get upto £200 in free matched bets with bet365 - Click here to find out more