Trapattoni expects to remain in charge of Ireland
Wednesday 17 October 2012
Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni believes he will remain in charge for the remainder of his side’s 2014 World Cup qualification campaign.
The veteran Italian had been under huge pressure from supporters after Ireland’s disappointing Euro 2012 campaign has been followed by a shaky start to qualification for Brazil 2014, culminating in a 6-1 home destruction at the hands of Germany on Friday.
However, after Ireland eased some of the pressure on their boss with a comfortable 4-1 victory over the Faroe Islands, Trapattoni told the BBC that he expects to continue in his role.
“We have in November another game. I expect [to remain in charge],” said the 73-year-old.
“We started three games ago - we have won two games, we have lost one against [Germany] the best team. I know what I can do, but it’s not my decision. I don’t have a problem. “For me, it’s my job. I say always I am proud to be the manager of this team with these players,” continued the ex-Italy boss.
Ireland currently lie third in Group C, a point behind Sweden and four points behind group leaders Germany, who played out a remarkable 4-4 draw in Berlin on Tuesday night, with the Swedes pulling back from four goals down with 30 minutes remaining.
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG