Chelsea instability gives Falcao cause for concern
Wednesday 20 February 2013
Chelsea could miss out on the signing of Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao as the Columbian is concerned at the lack of stability at the Premier League club, which has seen three managers take charge in the last 12 months, the Daily Mirror has reported.
The newspaper claims that Falco, rated at £50m, is to be Chelsea’s top target for the summer while Manchester City are also chasing the former Porto hit man, but Real Madrid, Atletico’s neighbours and fierce rivals, are in the driving seat to sign the 27-year-old.
Chelsea were said to be keen to appoint Pep Guardiola as the club’s new full-time manager at the end of the season but the former Barcelona boss instead signed up with Bayern Munich, taking charge in Germany from the summer, creating increased uncertainty around Stamford Bridge as to who will be the next permanent incumbent of the manager’s office.
Rafael Benitez is currently the interim manager, having replaced Roberto Di Matteo in November. Di Matteo, meanwhile, was appointed in early March last year after Andre Villas-Boas was sacked. Villas-Boas was only hired in June 2011, while Di Matteo’s services were dispensed with only six months after he delivered Chelsea’s first Champions League trophy.
Without the possibility of signing Guardiola, the Mirror suggests that Chelsea will draw up a shortlist containing Juventus Coach Antonio Conte and Malaga’s Manuel Pellegrini, formerly of Villarreal and Real Madrid.
To account for Falcao’s potential decision to move elsewhere, Chelsea were said to be monitoring St. Etienne striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyeng, but he is considered more likely to join the French revolution at Newcastle.
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Man City v Chelsea