Chelsea to wait until after Man Utd game to make third Rooney bid, says Mourinho
Jose Mourinho has revealed that Chelsea will make a third offer for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney - but not until after the clubs have played each other in the Premier League, BBC Sport has reported.
Chelsea travel to Old Trafford for the match on Monday evening and Mourinho, speaking after Chelsea beat Aston Villa 2-1 on Wednesday, confirmed he was plotting another approach for Rooney - but would not make it official until the match between the respective clubs was out of the way.
“I don't want Chelsea to do it before we go there,” Mourinho said. “I think this period, by the ethical point of view, is a period where we're going to be quiet.”
Mourinho has already failed in two bids for Rooney, both of them rejected out of hand by United, who are insistent that the England international is not for sale. Mourinho had previously claimed that Rooney was his only target, but backtracked recently and suggested Chelsea had other irons in the fire.
The visit of Chelsea will mark Moyes’ first competitive game at Old Trafford as United manager, having replaced the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson in the summer. Mourinho, meanwhile, has started his second tenure at Chelsea with two wins from two, beating Hull at Stamford Bridge on the opening weekend before the victory over Aston Villa in a game rearranged because of Chelsea’s European Super Cup commitments.
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG