Chelsea striker Eto'o retires from international football
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Samuel Eto’o has told his Cameroon teammates that he is retiring from international football, the Daily Mirror has reported, after the Chelsea striker fell out with Volker Finke, the team’s German Coach.
Eto’o joined Chelsea on a free transfer from Anzhi Makhachkala late in the transfer window, signing a one-year contract at Stamford Bridge. The former Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter striker has yet to make his debut for Jose Mourinho’s side, having played under Mourinho at Inter, where the pair won the Serie A title and the European Cup. He made his national team bow in 1997, aged 15.
Cameroon beat Libya in a weekend international but Eto’o has reportedly told colleagues he is stepping away from the national team for personal reasons after refusing to train with Cameroon last week ahead of the Libya fixture. It is thought Eto’o and Finke disagreed over the team to play Libya. Eto’o previously refused to play in last year’s Africa Nations Cup qualifiers.
Finke shed little light on the Eto’o situation following the Libya victory, saying only: “Samuel Eto’o is a great player and it is better that he should be the one to explain things. He is the only one who can explain why he took the decision.” Cameroon topped Group I but will have to win a playoff in November to reach next year’s World Cup in Brazil.
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG