Atletico Madrid’s Juanfran rejected summer move to Arsenal
Tuesday 17 September 2013
Atletico Madrid defender Juanfran has revealed that he rejected the chance to join Arsenal during the summer, and has said that he is happy in Spain, the Daily Mirror has reported.
Bacary Sagna has been the first-choice right-back at Arsenal since he joined in the summer of 2007, while Carl Jenkinson is manager Arsene Wenger’s other option in that position. However, Juanfran, 28, has admitted that Wenger offered him the chance to move to North London, but he rejected that chance.
He said: "It is true that I had an offer from Arsenal that any player would have liked to have accepted. But I am very happy here. For me, as everyone knows, there is no better club than Atletico."
Juanfran joined Atletico in January 2011, from La Liga rivals Osasuna. Since then, he has made 112 appearances in all competitions, scoring three goals. He also has four caps for Spain, finding himself behind Alvaro Arbeloa and Sergio Ramos in the pecking order under Vicente Del Bosque.
Arsenal eventually made four summer signings, with goalkeeper Emilio Viviano arriving on loan, along record buy Mesut Ozil, and free transfers Yaya Sanogo and Mathieu Flamini, who returned after five years away at AC Milan.
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Marseille vs Arsenal