No 2022 World Cup decision, says FIFA vice-president
Wednesday 08 January 2014
FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce has insisted the world governing body has yet to make a decision over when the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will be held, Sky Sports has reported.
Boyce’s comments come after FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said on Radio France that the tournament would not be in June-July but between November and January.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has previously insisted no decision would be taken until after this summer’s event, in Brazil, but did add that playing in the heat of the Middle East summer would be unwise.
Boyce said: “I'm totally, completely shocked to be honest. The situation as I am aware was that the FIFA executive committee would be awaiting a report set up by all the stakeholders involved in the World Cup.
“They would be meeting between now and the World Cup being held in Brazil next summer and reporting back to the executive meeting and there would no further discussions on Qatar 2022 until another executive meeting in December 2014.
“Whether Jerome was making a personal opinion or not I just don't know but I can honestly confirm that this has not been discussed at the executive committee of FIFA.
“I feel that it is most important that all the stakeholders meet first before reporting back to the executive committee. So I'm very surprised about what has happened this morning.”
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG