Lescott not leaving Man City, says Pellegrini
Wednesday 08 January 2014
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has said Joleon Lescott will not be allowed to leave the club during the transfer window, Sky Sports has reported.
Pellegrini however stopped short of saying the centre-back will be offered an extension to his current contract, which expires in the summer. “He is not going for the moment,” Pellegrini said. “Joleon Lescott is a very important player for us. He finishes his contract in June. We will see what happens in the future.”
Lescott moved to City from Everton in 2009 and was part of the side that won the Premier League title under Roberto Mancini in 2011-12. The England international has fallen out of favour under Pellegrini, however, making only 14 appearances so far this season. West Ham were among the clubs said to be considering an approach for the former Wolves player.
City meet the Hammers in the Capital One Cup semi-final first-leg on Wednesday evening at the Etihad Stadium, with Pellegrini keen to see his side progress to the final and win the competition. “I think it is important for the club, for the team, for everyone, to play a semi-final against West Ham and try to win,” the manager said.
“After we beat West Ham we can talk about the final at Wembley, but we have two steps more to beat West Ham here and then in London,” Pellegrini added. “I repeat, after we finish the semi-final, we can talk about the trophy.”
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG