Fabregas not for sale, warns Barcelona president
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has warned Premier League duo Arsenal and Manchester United that midfielder Cesc Fabregas is not for sale this summer, the Metro has reported.
This is the second summer in succession that Man Utd have been linked with Fabregas, with former boss David Moyes publically announcing his intention of signing the Spaniard in 2013 only to see two offers turned down.
This time around, new manager Louis van Gaal has turned his attention to Fabregas after ending the club’s interest in Bayern Munich’s Toni Kroos, with whom negotiations had already began.
Arsenal are also considering a bid to bring their former star player back to the Emirates Stadium, having sold Fabregas to the Catalans in the summer of 2011. Manager Arsene Wenger, who signed a new contract on Friday, is said to have a transfer budget of £100m.
But despite Fabregas reportedly being surplus to requirements at Barcelona, Bartomeu has moved to reject the prospect of the 27-year-old leaving this summer. He said: ‘We don’t want to sell players. Barca do not want to sell Fabregas or any other players that may appear to be on the market.’
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG