Home
Prediction League
Fixtures
Results
News
Features
Premier League
EPL Home
Latest
Clubs
Stadiums
Friends
Blogs
Football League
World Cup 2014
Europe
Euro Football Home
Latest
Russian Premier
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
La Liga
Football Italiano
International
International Home
Latest
World Cup 2010
Euro 2012 Stadiums
Euro 2012
Denmark 2011
AFCON 2013
Betting
About Us
Advertising
Write for us
Privacy
Recruitment
newswriter
Twitter
Contact Us
 
 

Tabarez to quit FIFA role on back of Suarez ban


Bookmark and Share

By Jonathan Nightingale

Saturday 28 June 2014

Uruguay chief Oscar Tabarez has quit his role at football’s world governing body in protest of the punishment handed out to shamed star Luis Suarez, Sky Sports has reported, stating he felt the player had been made a ‘scapegoat’.



Suarez was banned for nine international matches and all football activity for four months after he was found guilty of biting Georgio Cheillini on the shoulder during his county’s 1-0 win over Italy.


The striker flew back to hometown Montevideo in disgrace after his FIFA accreditation was revoked for the World Cup – although the player in fact received a hero’s welcome as he touched down.


And Tabarez, on the eve of Uruguay’s crunch last 16 battle with Colombia, has now said his position as part of FIFA’s Technical Study Group is untenable after he believed Suarez had been made the victim of a witch hunt.


He said: “It is not wise or prudent to be in an organisation with people, those who exerted pressure to promote this decision and those who rendered the punishment, who managed procedures and values very different to those I have.


“We saw the (images of the bite) afterwards and saw that there was a certain possibility of punishing the participants in that action: both (Giorgio) Chiellini and Suarez.


"I don't deny that we were waiting a punishment. But we never imagined the severity of the punishment meted out.”


Tabarez moved to heavily criticise the English speaking media, describing the “excessively severe” ban as FIFA pandering towards such people.


The Uruguayan FA plan to appeal the ban handed out to Suarez but as it stands the strikers faces being out of action until the end of October.


View the latest World Cup 2014 odds and betting here



Related Articles


» 

Suarez waiting for ‘bite’ decision

» 

Hatem Ben Arfa admits being a selfish player at Newcastle

» 

The rise and fall (and rise?) of Wayne Rooney's Everton relationship

» 

Redknapp could face fine over public Taarabt row

» 

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers backs Balotelli to fire against Real Madrid tonight

» 

Get your Premier League tickets with World Ticket Shop

» 

Suarez makes bite apology

 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 

Name

Email Address *

Comments


Please enter code on left.


Terms & Conditions

* A valid email is required to submit a comment. Your email will not be displayed on this or any other website, nor will it be passed to any 3rd parties. For more information please see the terms and conditions.



0 Comments


No Comments have been posted yet


 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 

Premier League Football News


ArsenalAston VillaChelseaEvertonFulhamLiverpoolManchester CityManchester UtdNewcastle UtdNorwich City
ReadingQueens Park RangersSouthamptonStoke CitySunderlandSwansea CityTottenham HotspurWest Bromwich AlbionWest HamWigan Athletic

 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
  
 

 
 
 
 

Kick Football News