Barry completes Everton switch
Everton have completed the signing of former England international Gareth Barry from Manchester City after the midfielder spent last season on loan at the club, Sky Sports has reported.
Barry was a huge hit at Goodison Park last term after he was deemed surplus to requirements at the Etihad but put in impressive displays and made 37 appearances for the Toffees.
The 33-year-old formed an exciting partnership with fellow central midfielder James McCarthy in the heart of the Everton side and has signed for a fee believed to be £2m, penning a two year deal with the Merseyside club.
Upon his permanent arrival at the club he said: “I was really keen to get this sorted before the lads come back to training on Thursday. I'm delighted now that everything is signed and that I'm going to be spending the next few years at Everton.
"From the moment I signed last year I settled in straight away. There is a fantastic history here and it was brilliant working with the manager.”
He is Roberto Martinez’s first signing of the summer as the manager targets at least six new faces to help cope with the extra demands of the Europa League after their fifth place finish.
Everton also lost two other loan players in Romelu Lukaku and Gerard Deulofeu at the end of the season and Martinez will be keen to fill this void as quickly as possible.
The Spaniard has been sharing his delight to have claimed Barry as his first transfer outlay.
He said: “We all know the type of footballer that he is and the type of person that he is and he will fit perfectly well into what we are at Everton," he said.
"Gareth is a model professional. He sets high standards in everything he does and that is the perfect model you want for your young players.
"Add to that his experience on the football pitch and knowing how to win big games; he has that winning mentality and it is something I am delighted to bring into the side on a permanent basis.”
View the latest World Cup 2014 odds and betting here