Balotelli deal close as striker has medical
Mario Balotelli has moved closer to sealing his move to Liverpool after spending Friday evening at the club’s Melwood training ground for his medical, Sky Sports has reported.
AC Milan have accepted an offer of £16m for the Italian front man and it now appears a matter of time before Balotelli becomes a Liverpool player – although the club has now missed the deadline for him to be eligible to face former employers Manchester City on Monday.
It had been reported that there was a clause in the player’s proposed contract to ensure that behaviour of the controversial Italian was maintained in the correct manner – although Brendan Rodgers refused to be drawn on the matter.
Liverpool sold problem striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona in a £75m deal after he bit Georgio Chellini at the World Cup – another incident in a long string of behavioural issues – and seem keen to ensure that Balotelli is kept on the straight and narrow following a turbulent spell with City.
Incidents spanned from letting fireworks off inside his house to a furious training ground bust up with former manager Roberto Mancini and a stamp on Scott Parker as he struggled with discipline on and off the field.
However Rodgers refused to comment on any clause instead insisting all players are held to high standard of conduct.
He said: “I think every player has a code of conduct for the people and the professionals at work," said Rodgers.
“We have quite an extensive code for players and staff. We haven’t got a specific one for anyone individually. It covers across the professional group of people here both staff and players.
“We have a fantastic environment and a great culture. There will be nothing that will ever shake that or to provoke it in anyway. That is something I will always protect. The environment here is fantastic.”
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Man City v Liverpool