Everton snap up Belgian starlet Henen
Tuesday 02 September 2014
Everton have moved to capture Belgium under-19 international striker David Henen on a year’s loan from Greek champions Olympiacos, reports Sky Sports.
The 18-year-old completed a complex move late on transfer deadline day, as the Athens giants signed him from RSC Anderlecht in his native Belgium, and simultaneously loaned him to the Toffees for the duration of this season.
Everton boss Roberto Martinez confirmed that while he rates Henen highly, he is unlikely to be used in the Goodison Park first team during his stay on Merseyside, at least at first. “As we had said previously he's someone whose potential we recognise and at this stage he will go into the Under-21 development squad. We're looking forward to working with him this season,” said Martinez.
Henen came through the ranks at Anderlecht and was part of the squad participating in the 2012/13 NextGen series for under-19 teams, which progressed from a group containing Barcelona, Tottenham and Wolfsburg, before being knocked out in the round of 16 by his new employers Olympiacos.
He spent last season on loan in France with AS Monaco, but failed to make a first team appearance, meaning he is still awaiting his debut in all senior football.
Henen will join up with his new Everton team mates after he returns from international duty with the Belgium under-19 side.
Think you know your football? Share your knowledge, tips and comments to win cash prizes in OLBG's tipster competition - £11,000 to be won monthly!