Di Matteo: Malouda may never play for Chelsea again
Saturday 15 September 2012
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo says he is unsure whether midfielder Florent Malouda will play for the club again but says there is no dissent from the squad following his decision to drop the France international from his first team squad.
Having failed to feature for the club so far this season, Malouda was not included in Chelsea’s squad for the group phase of their defence of the Champions League and following his failure to leave Stamford Bridge before the closure of the transfer window, has been left to train with the Chelsea youth team.
However, according to SKY Sports, Di Matteo has quickly rejected the notion that the decision will create the sort of unhappiness amongst the squad that rose last season when Andre Villas-Boas similarly demoted Nicolas Anelka and Alex.
“They have accepted the decision that has been made by us, and they’re just going to focus on their targets for this season,” said Di Matteo. “Over the past, there’s been some expression of the player to part company, but it hasn’t happened. So we’ve moved forward, brought in other players and they’re the ones we’re going to work with this season.”
When asked if Malouda would turn out for Chelsea again, Di Matteo was guarded in saying: “I don’t know, only the future will tell. But he’s with the Under 21s. The transfer window doesn’t open again until January.”
Table topping Chelsea travel to QPR this weekend as they bid to continue their 100% start in the Premier League.
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on QPR v Chelsea