Newcastle refuse to bow to Ba wage demands
Thursday 20 September 2012
Demba Ba will not receive a new contract that pays close to double his current weekly wage, the Daily Mirror has revealed, while the negotiation tactics of the striker’s representatives have alienated the hierarchy at Newcastle United.
Ba is said to be seeking a new deal worth almost £100,000 per week but manager Alan Pardew spoke with the player earlier this week, telling him to come up with a more realistic sum and warning the Senegalese that the club will not bow to the player’s public complaints or the comments of his agent or brother.
After Ba was left on the substitutes’ bench to face Everton on Monday, his brother went on Twitter to criticise the decision, while his agent claimed Ba would leave the club if it became a regular occurrence. Ba was brought on at half-time and scored twice to deliver a point to the Magpies.
Pardew however insisted that he and Ba still maintain a strong working relationship. He added: “I’ve already spoken to Demba and I said I was disappointed with some of the comments around him, but sometimes it’s out of his control and out of my control. We know each other well enough. I just think people were saying things they shouldn’t say, really.”
The manager also confirmed that the £7.5m release clause in Ba’s contract becomes active again when the January transfer window opens.
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Newcastle v Norwich