Doubts hang over the future of Chelsea Champions League winners
The futures of Roberto Di Matteo, Didier Drogba and Fernando Torres are no clearer despite Chelsea’s Champions League victory, Yahoo Sports has reported.
The club’s chief executive Ron Gourlay refused to put on a time frame or be swayed by supporter opinion over who the new permanent Chelsea manager should be. Di Matteo has been in temporary charge since Andre Villas-Boas was sacked in March and on Saturday added the Champions League to the FA Cup won earlier in May, but Gourlay was non-committal regarding Di Matteo’s chances of landing the post on a full-time basis.
He said: “I know the fans will be pushing for Robbie. We're going to look at the season, look at what worked for us, look at the mistakes we made and put them right and take it forward.
Drogba, who scored the title-clinching penalty in the shootout with Bayern Munich, could leave Chelsea this summer on a free transfer after failing to agree terms on a new contract. The striker was said to be holding out for a two-year deal but the club was only willing to offer a one-year extension. Gourlay added that negotiations with Drogba were on-going.
Torres, meanwhile, is said by Yahoo to face an “uncertain” future with the club but Gourlay declined to comment on reports the Spaniard is unhappy at Stamford Bridge, saying only that he would not expect anything other than Torres to be disgruntled at not starting on a more regular basis.
Check out the Euro 2012 odds and get some tips on the European Championships betting.