Di Matteo expects summer overhaul at Chelsea
Interim Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo has said he expects the club to undergo a flurry of changes over the summer regardless of who is appointed as the new permanent manager, ESPN has reported.
Di Matteo was put in temporary charge when Andre Villas-Boas was sacked in March, having previously been the Portuguese’s assistant. In his time in the dugout Di Matteo has won 12 of the 19 games played, including victory in the FA Cup final and guiding Chelsea to the Champions League final, but there has been no sign the former Chelsea midfielder will be handed the job on a full-time basis.
Chelsea can finish no higher or lower in the Premier League table than sixth, missing out on the top four places that would bring Champions League football, leaving the club’s only route back into the competition as winning it outright on May 19. Di Matteo admitted that difficult questions would be asked if Chelsea do not defeat Bayern Munich.
He said: “If we don’t win, I guess we’ll need to re-assess the situation. After the last game, the people at the club will sit down together and make the right decisions for the future. Those decisions involve what changes they want to make to the technical and playing staff. It’s not one to discuss now.”
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Chelsea v Blackburn