Carling Cup Round-Up – Wigan given footballing lesson by Blackpool

The 2nd round of the Carling Cup got underway, with the entrance of the Premier League teams. It was an incident packed week with controversy abounding and one that will long be remembered for some disturbing scenes at Upton Park. West Ham beat Millwall after extra time 3-1 but the game was marred by violence in the stands that spilled over onto the pitch after Junior Stanislas equalised for the Hammers just before the end of ninety minutes. The weeks big footballing story was provided by Blackpool, who thrashed Wigan 4-1. Having seen his side lose their last two games, Latics manager Roberto Martinez made numerous changes but to no avail as his side were taught a lesson by the Championship team. Ishmel Demontagnac opened the scoring for Blackpool, who found themselves three goals up at half time and Wigan were the only Premier League club to be eliminated from the League Cup this week.

The 2nd round had begun at Carrow Road on Monday night, where an impressive looking Sunderland beat Norwich City 4-1. Although both teams fielded significantly weakened sides, Sunderland boss Steve Bruce will be encouraged by his team’s enthusiastic showing and in particular the fine display by Andy Reid, who on his first start of the season chipped in with two goals. Tottenham’s eye-catching early season form continued at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster, where they put five past Rovers in a fine display. Harry Redknapp also fielded a weakened side and the result emphasized the strength and depth currently at his disposal. At the Liberty Stadium, Swansea were beaten by Scunthorpe after extra time, but almost went down to six men due to a farcical combination of injuries and sending offs. At the end of extra time, the injured Besian Idrizaj was asked to return to the field of play for the final five minutes as a glorified spectator by manager Paulo Sousa, so that Swansea maintained the minimum required seven players to allow the game’s completion.

Elsewhere, Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Manchester City, Hull, Stoke and Birmingham all progressed, but it took extra time for Burnley to beat Hartlepool and penalties for Wolves to overcome Swindon. Wednesday night saw two seven-goal thrillers, with Newcastle beating Huddersfield 4-3 and West Brom dispelling Rotherham by the same scoreline. There was an upset at Ashton Gate where League 1 side Carlisle beat the Championship club Bristol City 2-0 and Roy Keane’s search for a first win with his new team continued at London Road, where Ipswich Town were knocked out by Peterborough. There was more controversy at Vale Park, where League Two team Port Vale upset the odds by beating Sheffield Wednesday. Francis Jeffers was sent off for appearing to head butt Vale’s Tommy Frasier and was placed on the transfer list the following day by his manager Brian Laws. Leeds, Nottingham Forrest, Cardiff, Preston and QPR complete the list of teams in the hat for the third round draw.

Full Results

Monday August 24, 2009

Norwich City 1-4 Sunderland

Tuesday August 25, 2009

Gillingham 1-3 Blackburn Rovers
Hartlepool United 1-2 Burnley (After Extra Time)
Hull City 3-1 Southend United
Leeds United 2-1 Watford
Nottingham Forrest 2-1 Middlesbrough (AET)
Peterborough United 2-1 Ipswich Town
Port Vale 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Portsmouth 4-1 Hereford United
Preston North End 2-1 Leicester City
QPR 2-1 Accrington Stanley
Reading 1-2 Barnsley
Southampton 1-2 Birmingham City
Swansea City 1-2 Scunthorpe United
Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Bolton Wanderers
West Ham 3-1 Millwall (AET)
Wolverhampton 0-0 Swindon Town (Wolves win 6-5 on penalties)

Wednesday August 26, 2009

Blackpool 4-1 Wigan Athletic
Bristol City 0-2 Carlisle United
Cardiff City 3-1 Bristol Rovers
Doncaster Rovers 1-5 Tottenham Hotspurs
Leyton Orient 0-1 Stoke City (AET)
Newcastle United 4-3 Huddersfield Town
West Brom 4-3 Rotherham (AET)

Related posts

Leave a Comment