Wigan Athletic finished their pre-season campaign with a comfortable win against Dundee United at Tannadice Park. Mauro Boselli continued to impress with two more instinctive finishes before setting up Victor Moses for the third. The Latics were much sharper than midweek against Real Zaragoza with the whole team playing confidently. It was new boy Mauro Boselli that opened the scoring when Victor Moses raced down the right before slipping the ball into Hugo Rodallega. The striker played Boselli in who calmly placed the ball in the bottom corner.
The Argentine was on hand again to score Wigan’s second when he met Maynor Figueroa’s cross with a bullet header. And the star man created the third when his cushioned header to the edge of the area was met by a stunning volley that bounced in off the bar. Dundee got a deserved goal moments later when Danny Cadamarteri fired home from 30 yards but it was too little too late and didn’t spoil what was a brilliant performance from Wigan.
Roberto Martinez said after the game that Wigan were ready for the Premier League opener against Blackpool. The manager was happy with performances from Mauro Boselli, Victor Moses and Ben Watson. The Wigan manager said: “Ben [Watson] had a big impact on the game in the way he gets other players into the game, and Mauro [Boselli] has that intelligent in his movement that they work well together. Victor [Moses] did everything including scoring a great goal, he is a real talent.”
Martinez admitted he is also still looking to strengthen his squad before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month: “I still feel we need to strengthen the squad a little but the players are really starting to show their qualities” said Martinez adding: “It’s fair to say that everyone is doing their job at the moment, obviously everyone wants to start that game but it is a long season and everyone will have a role to play”
The manager also hinted that changes might happen later this week: “Until the last day of August we will be working hard to strengthen the squad and help the squad we have here. That means players will have to out as well as players will come in. We have moved one or two this week and there are one or two other things we will need to finalise before August 31.”
A change that has already happened at the club is the departure Olivier Kapo. The attacking midfielder left the club by mutual consent. Kapo only made 22 league appearances for Wigan since arriving in 2008 and only managed two goals. Last season Kapo was sent on loan to French club Boulogne and bagged two goals in 12 appearances before returning to Wigan.
Another player who may be on the way out of Wigan is Jason Scotland. The striker who was deadly in the Championship with Swansea only scored on goal last season and maybe heading back to the Championship with Martinez admitting that a few clubs had been in touch about signing the striker. Ipswich are believed to be leading the chase to sign the striker but is just one of a few teams trying to sign him.
The Wigan boss said: “It’s fair to say there is strong interest there from Ipswich and a few other clubs have also asked us about Jason. It’s just a case now of sitting down with all the parties and working out what is the best move for Wigan Athletic.”
Martinez admitted that he wanted more attacking options, saying: “I do feel we need one or two more players in forward positions,” adding “We are a possibly a little bit lightweight- not in terms of starting the season but to carry us through until the next window in January. We are probably two bodies light in that position.”
One player who might be signing with the Latics soon is Stephen Caldwell. Caldwell played against Dundee and is hoping to gain a contract after being released by Burnley. Martinez has said that Caldwell would be given the chance to join his brother Gary at the DW: “We will speak to Stephen and obviously these things boil down to a few thing such as numbers. We need to carry on assessing Stephen as well as Sekou Baradji and the other players we have been looking at.”