Carlo Ancelotti is reportedly lining up Newcastle’s Andy Carroll as a long-term replacement for Didier Drogba, according to Imscouting.com.
The 32-year-old Ivorian is a cult hero at Stamford Bridge, but Ancelotti is keen to try and identify a replacement early, before age begins to slow down the prolific striker.
Carroll has been impressive for the Geordies so far this term, scoring five goals to help the Magpies to a solid start to their second spell in the Premier League. He is also expected to feature in Fabio Capello’s England squad for the friendly with France on November 17.
No Pato at Blues.
Ancelotti, meanwhile, has rejected rumours that he is looking to bring AC Milan star Alexandre Pato to Stamford Bridge. The Brazilian youngster was linked heavily with a move to London this past summer for a reunion with his former San Siro boss, but the Italian manager has categorically ruled out a move.
Ancelotti told Italia Uno: “You cannot ask for any more from him (in terms of) talent. However, he will not come to Chelsea.”
Anelka has matured.
Nicolas Anelka feels he is playing the best football of his career at Chelsea, adding he feels he has matured as a player. Despite the Frenchman perhaps lacking the explosive pace of his youth, and not scoring as many goals as he used to, he feels he is contributing more as a team player than ever before, according to Sky Sports.
Speaking to the Daily Express, the 31-year-old said: “When you are older you become more mature on the pitch. I am happy with the way I am playing and also with the way the manager asks me to play. I like everything about it, and about Chelsea.?”