The Telegraph report this morning that City boss Roberto Mancini has lost patience with winger Shaun Wright-Phillips and left-back Wayne Bridge, and will look to move on both players in January.
The players were signed for a combined fee of £21m by Mancini’s predecessor Mark Hughes and it would appear that the Italian wants to clear out the dead wood he inherited. Wright-Phillips was offered a four-year deal earlier this year but turned it down, his father Ian Wright memorably accusing the club of ‘mugging him off’.
However Wright-Phillips has only made three appearances this season and has fallen down the pecking order below James Milner and Adam Johnson. Liverpool and Blackburn are among the clubs interested in his signature.
Bridge’s time at Eastlands has been dogged by injury but Mancini has been unimpressed with the 30-year-old’s form when fit and feels that at £90,000 a week his fourth-choice left back represents poor value.
Tevez fit for derby.
Carlos Tevez is determined to recover from his current injury in time for the Manchester derby next Wednesday, according to The Sun.
The Argentinian was given special dispensation to return to his Buenos Aires home last week to recover and visit his family, with Roberto Mancini sanctioning a four-day trip. The previous day team-mate Roque Santa Cruz told a Spanish radio station that Tevez was severely homesick.
That four days was then extended with Tevez claiming that the Argentina national team’s medical staff had advised him not to fly with the injury, and instead remain in Buenos Aires for treatment.
Tevez is now certain to miss the weekend visit to West Brom. “I intend to be in the right condition for the derby against United,” he said. “I believe I am getting better and will take a fitness test in Buenos Aires over the weekend and will assess the situation after that.
“I hear all the City news and have suffered because of those two defeats. But the season is long and we will have chances to advance up the table.”
Adebayor defends on pitch arguments.
City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has defended his slanging match with Vincent Kompany at the weekend.
The two players were involved in a heated exchange of views during City’s shock 2-1 defeat to Wolves. But the Togo striker has played down the row, describing it as perfectly natural, and admits he would not hesitate to do the same again.
“Sometimes you have to shout and bawl to try and get a reaction from your team-mates and sometimes that means getting them worked up in order to do the right thing for the team,” he told The Times. “That’s what great teams do. It is all about passion and desire to do well and if Vincent and I are guilty of that, neither of us have a problem with it.
“Vinnie and I love this club and are passionate about helping to make it successful, so if that means the odd disagreement, so be it.
“Trust me, if I have to have arguments with all my team-mates every single weekend in order to help us win the game, I’ll be doing exactly that and I’d want the same in return.”