Robin van Persie made his first Arsenal start in three months last night and helped the Gunners edge closer to their first trophy in five years. The 2-0 victory over Wigan fired the north Londoners into the League Cup semi-finals – and now only two wins are keeping Arsene Wenger’s men from ending their drought.
The cup, however, is far from a formality despite Arsenal being the only side in the top half of the Premier League remaining in contention, and Wenger has admitted that West Ham’s 4-0 victory over Man United proves that there is still work to be done.
According to The Independent, Wenger said: “We have to accept there is no guarantee that we will win this trophy. We have to fight for every single game to win. We have played 14 consecutive seasons in the Champions League and many people would be happy with that. We are not completely happy with that, and we want to make our supporters as happy as we can.”
Gunners warned off Steele.
Arsenal have been warned to cool off their interest and back away from Middlesbrough goalkeeper Jason Steele.
The England U-21 international has been linked with a move to the Gunners in recent days, but Boro chief executive Keith Lamb has dismissed the rumours and has insisted the highly-rated custodian is not for sale at any price.
According to The Independent, Lamb told reporters: “The story is complete nonsense. We have no intention of selling Jason for £4m or any other fee. He is a massive part of the future of this football club, so the idea of selling him is not on our agenda.”
Arsenal have been reportedly searching for a new keeper since the summer, and have failed to land long-term targets Mark Schwarzer and Shay Given, both of whom have remained with their clubs thus far. Steele, however, fits the bill in regards to age and potential, and so Wenger may yet step up his interest in January.
No Busquets move.
It is not a good day for Arsenal fans with regards to transfer stories, as the Gunners have also been told to forget about signing Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets.
The Metro reports that interest from the Emirates and City of Manchester Stadium will be completely ignored by the Catalan giants, with the club citing him as “irreplaceable.”
City had previously been thought to hold the cards in the transfer negotiations in the hope of reuniting the player with former team-mate at the Camp Nou Yaya Toure. However, with Youre previously admitting it was Busquet’s emergence which ultimately lead to his departure, this may not have proved as convincing an argument as City had previously thought.
The 22-year-old spoke very highly of his team-mates following their demolition of Jose Mourinho’s Real Madrid in El Classico on Monday night – implying that he has no intentions of leaving any time soon as speculated by The Metro. He said: “The end result is because of the high level we played at. It was a very complete match for all my team-mates. It is impossible to highlight one player, as all 11 were great.”