Frank Lampard has urged manager Carlo Ancelotti to strengthen the Blues squad during the January transfer window.
“If we add some players in January then fantastic,” Lampard told the clubs website. “Then hopefully we can get back to where we know we can be.”
The midfielder scored twice in the 7-0 drubbing of Ipswich on Sunday afternoon, a result that ended the clubs worst run for almost 15 years and a sequence which has seen them drop to fifth in the Premier League after winning just once in nine games.
Lampard added: “The league games coming up are very important and we need to take the spirit and energy we showed against Ipswich, which has maybe been lacking before, into the next few matches.”
Blues eye Pienaar.
Chelsea are on the verge of moving for Everton midfielder Steven Pienaar, according to the Daily Mail.
The South African is out of contract in the summer, but with Chelsea’s squad looking decidedly thin, Carlo Ancelotti may decide to test the Toffee’s resolve with a £3m bid – although they may face competition from Tottenham.
With Tim Cahill away with Australia at the Asian Cup, David Moyes needs a striker so any funds from Pienaar’s sale could be re-invested, although it is thought the Everton boss is well against selling the 28-year-old.
Sturridge to get games.
Following his two goals in the 7-0 cup mauling at Stamford Bridge, Daniel Sturridge has been told by Carlo Ancelotti that he has a part to play this season.
“He is a very good striker, very dangerous and he will have opportunities in the future because we have a lot of games in the next period,” Ancelotti told Chelsea’s official website.
The 21-year-old – a peripheral player for the Blues this season so far – has failed to complete a full 90 minutes in the Premiership but with the Champions League returning in February, Sturridge will seemingly get more action as Ancelotti attempts to keep his squad fresh.
Pepe offered new deal.
Real Madrid are set to offer central defender Pepe a new deal in an attempt to keep the Portuguese defender from the clutches of Chelsea, according to Spanish newspaper Sport.
The 27-year-old’s current deal ends in 2012 and he is reputedly looking for a deal that would double his current £1.5 million salary, but if a deal is not struck in the immediate future then Madrid could face losing him for a much reduced fee come the summer.
Madrid President Florentino Perez had originally refused to give into the players wage demands, but to keep the defender at the club – and fend off interest from Chelsea – Perez may have to make an improved offer for the highly rated centre-back.