Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips is resigned to the fact that he may have to leave Eastlands in search of regular first team football.
The 29-year-old enjoyed a rare start in Tuesday’s Europa League tie with Aris Salonika but will see it as an opportunity missed as the game finished goalless.
Wright-Phillips looked set for a move away from the club in January but a serious long-term injury to Adam Johnson meant he was required to stay and act as cover.
He told the Daily Mirror: “I don’t feel I can do a job for the club, I know I can do a job for the club. And there’s a big difference between feeling and knowing. I know what I’m capable of, so it’s just a question of whether the club want me or not.”
Mario Balotelli is set to make his full comeback from injury in the FA Cup fourth round replay against Notts County on Sunday.
The young Italian looked lively during his substitute appearance against Aris Salonika and will hope to impress once again as under fire strike partner Edin Dzeko struggles to make an impact.
First team coach David Platt has been impressed with Balotelli’s rehabilitation after suffering a serious knee injury at the end of last year.
“He has done ever so well and that is why he was on the bench. By the time the weekend comes, he will have another week of training under his belt and will be available for selection if the manager picks him.”
Richards holds hope.
Manchester City defender Micah Richards has refused to give up hope of challenging for the title in the wake of their defeat to rivals Manchester United.
“I wouldn’t like to write us off too soon,” said Richards who is keen to respond to this latest setback with victories from the next two matches at home to Fulham and Wigan.
“Obviously United are favourites but we are still improving and have a good squad with depth to it. We have Nigel (de Jong) and Mario (Balotelli) to come back from injury soon so we are not despondent.
“Our main aim all season has been to qualify for the Champions League and that has not changed.”