Arsenal news – Gameiro deal set-back, Fabregas fit for Barca, Wenger: League main aim

Fabregas fit for Barca.

Cesc Fabregas is determined to be fit enough to face Barcelona at the Camp Nou next week, The Telegraph has revealed.

Arsene Wenger has already ruled the Spaniard out of this weekend’s Premier League clash with Sunderland but the Gunners captain insists he could be fit enough to face the Black Cats.

Fabregas picked up a hamstring injury in his side’s game against Stoke and it was revealed that there was a possibility of the former Barcelona player missing the Champions League game against the Catalan giants but the player is adamant that he will be back in time to play against the Spanish champions.

Fabregas wrote in his programme notes: “I am running, getting better and don’t sense any pain. We’ll see how the next few days go. Perhaps I’ll have a chance for Saturday.

“We’ll take things day by day. I knew I had to come off (against Stoke). I know when I can play. We have many games coming up so I couldn’t afford to stay on and lose three weeks rather than seven days.”

Wenger: League main aim.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has stated that the Premier League is his main priority this season but maintained that the team cannot afford any more injuries if they are to end their six year trophy drought this season.

The Gunners are on course for a treble this season as they sit second in the league, remain in contention for the Champions League and have progressed to the FA Cup quarter-final after a 5-0 victory over Leyton Orient on Wednesday night.

The Frenchman told BBC Sport after his team’s victory over the League One side: “The league is a vital race. For us, the most important.”

He continued: “It will be interesting until the end of the season. Every game now is a cup game.”

Arsenal are currently without the services of Robin van Persie, Theo Walcott and captain Cesc Fabregas and the Gunners boss insisted that if the team’s title hopes are to be kept alive, he cannot lose any more players to injury: “We cannot afford other injuries and for them to score is a bonus for us as we have so many games.”

Gameiro deal set-back.

French side Lorient have issued a ‘hands off’ warning to Arsenal over their star striker Kevin Gameiro.

The 23-year-old, who has scored 15 goals in 23 starts this season, has attracted attention from several top clubs this season, including Bordeaux, Valencia and Tottenham Hotspur and has also been linked with a move the Arsenal.

Lorient President Loic Fery has insisted that his side will do everything they can to keep the French international at the club for a long time:

Fery told French newspaper L’Equipe: “We can imagine three possibilities; let him go at the end of his contract, transfer him this summer or extend his deal at Lorient. We’ve made considerable efforts – so far unsuccessfully – to try to extend his contract. I have not given up. Nothing is ruled out.”

Do you want to work in football? Find out more…

Don’t forget to check out the Arsenal page, updated daily here at A Different League for the latest in-depth analysis.

Related posts

Leave a Comment