Celtic news – Izaguirre good enough for Barcelona, Lennon won’t quit, Lennon set for sanctions

Izaguirre good enough for Barcelona.

Celtic’s Honduran left-back Emilio Izaguirre is good enough to play for Barcelona, according to his former Coach Hector Zelaya.

Zelaya is convinced Izaguirre would be a big hit at the Camp Nou. Speaking to the Scottish Sun he said: “Emilio would fit perfectly in the Spanish League because of his ability on the ball. I think Pep Guardiola would love him because of the way he attacks. The way Barca play would suit Emilio as Guardiola likes to see his full-backs getting forward.”

Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal are all thought to have run the rule over the 24-year-old, who has made a sensational impact at Parkhead since his summer signing for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around £650,000. Nonetheless, that is just a fraction of the price Celtic would even consider letting him go for.

Lennon won’t quit.

Neil Lennon’s agent, Martin Reilly, is adamant his client will not walk away from the club despite recent threats made against him.

The 39-year-old has been the subject of a hoax bomb alert and had bullets sent to him through the post, and there has been speculation he would leave his post at Parkhead at the end of the season.

However, Reilly told BBC Scotland’s Sportsround programme: “He was a winner as a player and he is a winner as a manager. As far as quitting goes, it is not in his nature. All Neil wants to do at the moment is concentrate on his job and he has certainly not spoken about quitting or walking out on the club. These threats have been going on for ten years since he came to Glasgow,” he added.

Lennon set for sanctions.

The Daily Mail reports that Neil Lennon and Ally McCoist are set to be disciplined by the Scottish Football Association at a hearing next month as the authorities seek to punish those involved in the ugly scenes at Celtic Park last week.

SFA chief executive Stewart Regan is believed to have pointed the finger at Lennon and McCoist – along with Rangers players El-Hadji Diouf and Madjid Bougherra – the day after the Old Firm game and might now start proceedings against them.

Both will be notified in writing by the SFA and asked to explain their actions and in all likelihood will be called before the Disciplinary Committee at its next meeting on April 12. Lennon is currently serving a four-match touchline ban which may well be extended, while McCoist could get a two-game ban as it is his first offence.

Do you want to work in football? Find out more…

Related posts