Roberto Mancini has admitted that he has become weary of Mario Balotelli’s antics and is considering dropping the young striker following his red card in the first-half of Manchester City’s crucial Europa League match against Dynamo Kiev, BBC Sport has revealed.
Balotelli was sent off for a late challenge on Goran Popov and the Citizens were eliminated from the Europa League, losing 2-1 on aggregate.
The former Inter striker has caused several disruptions since arriving at Eastlands and Mancini told reporters he may leave him out of the squad to face Chelsea this weekend and revealed that Balotelli’s outbursts and attitudes have become very frustrating: “I don’t think he’ll be in the squad. I don’t know if it was a red card or a yellow card, but when you play a game like this you should pay attention. Mario thinks he could be a fantastic player. When he does something stupid like that, it’s difficult for me.”
Zabaleta to miss Blues.
Pablo Zabaleta will miss Manchester City’s Premier League match against Chelsea as he will be at his critically ill father’s bedside, according to a report in the Manchester Evening News.
The Argentine was told that his father, 57-year-old Jorge Ruben Zabaleta, had been in a serious car accident in his homeland and was in a critical condition.
Zabaleta was granted permission from Manchester City to leave before the FA Cup tie against Reading and flew to Argentina.
Ruben Zabaleta is in a coma and is being treated in intensive care with serious head, neck and chest injuries.
Pablo missed last night’s Europa League match against Dynamo Kiev and will not feature against Chelsea on Sunday, he has been given indefinite leave by the club.
Dutch club slam City.
Dutch club Feyenoord have slammed Manchester City, stating their attempts to sign 16-year-old centre-back Karim Rekik are “stupid for all involved”, claims The Telegraph.
The young defender is rated as one of the brightest prospects in the Eredivisie and he is believed to be close to signing a four year deal with the Citizens.
The starlet is yet to sign a professional contract with the Rotterdam club and general manager Eric Gudde believes making the move to Eastlands would be a big mistake for young Rekik: “This is unfortunate for Feyenoord and the supporters. But in most cases, these moves do not work out, especially for the boy himself. If you look at the statistics, the majority end in huge disappointment for the player.”
He continued: “Even players who leave Holland when they have built a career here and played for the national side find it difficult abroad. Signing a 16 year-old is simply stupid, for all involved.”