Liverpool news – Reds on Mertesacker alert, Jose Enrique deal agreed, Kuyt backs Carroll

Reds on Mertesacker alert.

Werder Bremen defender Per Mertesacker has put Liverpool on alert by stating that he wants to play in the Premier League, The Sun reports.

The 26-year-old has been linked with a move to Arsenal, but Reds manager Kenny Dalglish is interested in the German international and is looking into the possibility of bringing him to Anfield. Last month, Mertesacker revealed he did not know whether he would be offered a new contract at the end of the season and Bremen are said to be ready to cash in this summer rather than lose him on a free in twelve months team.

Mertesacker said: ‘For a national player, it is a good thing to get experience of playing abroad. I have said that England excites me’.

Club director Klaus Allofs has not ruled out any move for Mertesacker and is ready to negotiate a move if any clubs confirm their interest. Allofs said: ‘Should Per say that he wants to try something different and it is interesting for us, then we will sit down together. We have enough defenders’.

Scroll down for rest of article

Jose Enrique deal agreed.

Liverpool have finally agreed a £5.5m fee with Newcastle for left-back Jose Enrique, The Daily Star reports.

The two sides have been discussing a move for the Spaniard all summer and Enrique’s refusal to sign a new contract, combined with his Twitter outburst towards the Magpies’ hierarchy, has accelerated the move to Anfield. Reds manager Kenny Dalglish is now ready to make the move for Enrique after offloading Milan Jovanovic from his £90,000 a week contract at Liverpool.

Enrique signed for Newcastle from Villarreal in a £6.3m deal in 2007 and has made 119 appearances in a black and white shirt, becoming a firm fans favourite. The Reds are now arranging a medical and personal terms for Enrique to sign and he will become Liverpool’s fifth summer signing to follow Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing and Alexander Doni to Anfield.

Kuyt backs Carroll.

Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt believes striker Andy Carroll will be the main focus of Liverpool’s attack and he can lead them to glory this season, The Liverpool Echo writes.

The record signing at Liverpool, Carroll scored his third pre-season goal in a 2-0 victory over Spanish side Valencia on Saturday. Kuyt believes that the £35m buy will be fired up for the new season and will continue his form against Sunderland at Anfield this weekend.

The Dutchman said: ‘Andy is going to be top quality of us this season. Now he’s had a full pre-season and has scored in his last two games. Hopefully, he’ll get another one this weekend. Andy is very strong in the air and you can also play it into his feet. He’s a top striker and I’m sure he will do well and score a lot of goals for us’.

Carroll was involved in a few skirmishes in the pre-season friendly against the Spanish side, committing a shocking tackle on Adil Rami that warranted more than a yellow card and then appearing to elbow a Valencia player in the ribs. Carroll’s temperament has been in question for a while, but the Reds believe that his performances on the pitch will outweigh any temperamental problems they are addressing.

Can Liverpool win the Premier League next season? OLBG.com lists them at 12/1 to take home the title. Click the highlighted link for the latest odds and pick up a free bet while you’re at it!

Don’t forget to check out the Liverpool page, updated daily here at A Different League for the latest in-depth analysis.

Related posts

Leave a Comment