Young Chelsea pair Kevin de Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku have been told by returning Blues boss Jose Mourinho that they will not be going out on loan next season.
The 50-year-old was reintroduced to the British and world media as west Londoners manager on Monday afternoon.
By Mourinho’s standards, it was a low-key arrival in comparison to some of his press conferences of the past, but Goal.com
Mourinho said: “I think it’s fair that the players are the first ones to know about their future and to know about their future by their manager and their club and not by the media.
“I can say that (De Bruyne and Lukaku) are the profile of player that Chelsea invested a lot in the past and I think it’s my work and my contribution to extract the best out of that investment and I think both of them are ready to come and are ready to be part of our squad.”
The news that De Bruyne will be staying put might scupper the deal that should have taken Andre Schurrle to Stamford Bridge. Bayer Leverkusen have been hoping to take the midfielder on loan for this agreement to go through.
Lukaku had been attracting interest from Swansea City and West Ham United, while West Brom wanted him back at the Hawthorns for another season. Lukaku scored 17 goals in 35 Premier League appearances for the Baggies last season, including a final day hat-trick against Manchester United, whilst De Bruyne spent last term at Werder Bremen.
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG