Enrique believes Liverpool are ready to compete for honours

Liverpool defender Jose Enqrique believes that the Reds can challenge for honours next season, according to Sky Sports.

The club finished seventh in Brendan Rodgers’ first full season in charge, and while this may be considered a disappointing campaign for a club of Liverpool’s stature there is evidence of optimism at Anfield, with Rodgers’ regime offering hope of long-term stability and prosperity.

Enrique believes that they are now ready to fight for silverware again, with new signings Simon Mignolet, Kolo Toure, Luis Alberto, and Iago Aspas having already arrived at Anfield this summer. While more deals are possible, and indeed Enrique believes more are likely, there have been suggestions that Rodgers was keen to get his signings in early and give them time to settle in the north west before the rigours of the new season begin in earnest.

The former Newcastle defender said: “We already have a great team and we have more some new players and of course with more additions we can fight for everything. I think we have a very, very good team.”

Captain Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, is happy to be back at full fitness after undergoing shoulder surgery earlier this year. He made his return during the club’s win over Indonesia All Stars on Saturday, and says he feels no ill effects from the procedure.

He said: “My shoulder felt fantastic, so it was nice to get the first 45 minutes under my belt and hopefully I’ll get slightly more time in Australia. It’s been feeling fine now for a few weeks in training, there have been absolutely no problems.

“The surgeon gave me the go-ahead to play and the manager was sensible in giving me 45 minutes. I’m really happy with how I feel.”

See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG

Related posts

Leave a Comment