Mata and Luiz not for sale, stresses Chelsea boss Mourinho

Jose Mourinho has confirmed he has no intention of selling Juan Mata or David Luiz, the Guardian has reported, after it was claimed the pair were offered to Manchester United in exchange for Wayne Rooney, but the Chelsea manager has not felt the need to contact the players individually to reassure them of their futures.

Mourinho said: “I am not going to contact them based on news that are not true, and that they know that is not true because I have told them they are very important for me. How can I change that two days later because of a news [story]? So no, no contact with them.

The Portuguese had previously spoken to both players ahead of the Confederations Cup, in a conversation where he wished them well for the tournament and told them they were part of his plans. Mata and Luiz are on an extended break after their international exertions and will report to Chelsea’s training ground on July 28 ahead of the club’s tour of the United States.

Chelsea strenuously denied offering either player to Man Utd for Rooney plus cash, releasing a statement that confirmed an offer for the England international had been made but that it was a bid of £20m with no part-exchange involved. The offer was rejected by the Premier League champions but Mourinho has said publically that Rooney is his primary transfer target for the summer.

See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG

Related posts

Leave a Comment