King defends Tottenham over Bale transfer saga

Former Tottenham Hotspur defender Ledley King has defended the club’s handling of winger Gareth Bale’s proposed world record move to Real Madrid, and praised their transfer activity for this summer.

Real Madrid are expected to complete the £86m signing of Bale in the coming days, after several weeks of negotiation. The Welshman was said to be ‘furious’ after the transfer was delayed on Tuesday, with Tottenham looking to secure a replacement before agreeing to sell the 24-year-old.

And Tottenham’s handling of the negotiations have been criticised by some, but King, who was forced to retire last year due to a persistent knee injury, believes that they have dealt with everything reasonably. He told Sky Sports: “They’ve dealt with it well.

The club always tries to deal with these things as professionally as possible. If you do lose players you have to replace them as best you can and the club has been brilliant at that. In the past they’ve always brought in new players and that’s what the club will continue to do if they want to compete.

Tottenham are close to signing Roma playmaker Erik Lamela, and are also rumoured to be interested in Steaua Bucherest’s Vlad Chiriches. They have already spent massively this summer, with Paulinho and Roberto Soldado among those to have arrived at White Hart Lane, and King has praised the club’s new signings.

He added: “I’ve seen Paulinho in his first few games and he’s been brilliant. Soldado is a goal scorer and he knows how to find the back of the net. He was so calm with the penalty [against Swansea] and that was great to see. The future for Tottenham looks very good.

See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Arsenal v Tottenham

Related posts

Leave a Comment