Newcastle director of football Joe Kinnear is confident the club will sign both Aston Villa striker Darren Bent and Queens Park Rangers forward Loic Remy, the
The Magpies have been slow to make use of the transfer window this summer but Kinnear believes attempts to bolster the squad of manager Alan Pardew are progressing well. On Newcastle’s chances of signing Remy, Kinnear said: “I would like to think that we’re very, very close to agreeing that.
“I would think maybe Monday or Tuesday we would be in a position to say ‘yay’ or ‘nay’, but I’m very happy with how that deal’s going on at the moment. I’m very happy with the conversation that we’ve had.”
The newspaper adds that Newcastle face competition for Remy from Tottenham Hotspur and Napoli, who both approached QPR regarding the French striker at the end of last week.
Remy could yet be joined by Darren Bent, despite Newcastle’s move for the former Sunderland striker appearing to fall through. Kinnear believes, however, that there’s a strong chance the transfer could be revived.
“We were with Darren’s agents for two or three hours,” he said. “We thrashed out a deal. We’re still in negotiation with Aston Villa, so there’s a real strong possibility there,” Kinnear added, although he did warn of interest from other parties.
Newcastle have also been close to signing Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis for around £7m, but Kinnear criticised the French club for their part in the flat-lining negotiations. “That deal [for Gomis] we agreed on numerous occasions,” Kinnear said. “It’s a very difficult agreement situation at the moment because from one day to the next, the goalposts are always moved.
“We’re fighting hard – there’s two or three of us all seem to be wrapped round the same players. As I said to Mike [Ashley], this is a serious battle that we need to win, and we’re very close to achieving that,” Kinnear added.
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG