Man City Transfer Focus – Defence the area of concern for Pellegrini

The injury to Matija Nastasic has been a blow to Manchester City, however the news may have come as a relief to one person. Joleon Lescott was reportedly fearing for his City career after the introduction of the Serbian centre-back, though it looks now that Lescott will be in line to start in the Sky Blues’ Premier League curtain raiser against Newcastle next Monday.

Much of the press speculation over the past week at Man City has been focussed on the club’s defensive situation. The Daily Star are claiming that Manuel Pellegrini will now use the absence of 20-year-old Nastasic to bring in Real Madrid’s Pepe. It has been widely reported this summer that Pellegrini is a fan of the hard-hitting Portuguese defender, but Madrid’s £25m valuation of the player is a stumbling block for City.

Teamtalk believe though that if the Eastlands outfit fail in their attempts to land Pepe they will look to Juventus stalwart Giorgio Chiellini. The 28-year-old has been linked with both City and Real Madrid, but the Italian international insists that he will remain faithful to the Old Lady. Meanwhile the Daily Express are reporting that should this move fall through, Cagliari’s Davide Astori would become centre of attention for City.

Elsewhere in the City defence, another player who will be looking to take his chance given Nastasic’s absence is Dedryck Boyata. The youngster had been angling for a move away from the Etihad Stadium this summer, however after an encouraging performance against Bayern Munich in the Audi Cup he could be back in the frame. He told the Manchester Evening News: “I had several conversations with the manager, and from what he has told me, he believes in me a lot.

As the focus continues to be drawn to Pellegrini’s defence, another rumour suggesting that Juventus are hoping to launch a £12m raid for Aleksander Kolarov may not be welcome news. The 27-year-old full back has been at the centre of much transfer speculation this summer, and it now seems that Bianconeri are ready to settle all the doubt with this offer.

One other player though who looks to be on his way out of Manchester is Scott Sinclair. The Daily Mirror are claiming that although the former Chelsea and Swansea City winger was linked with a loan move to West Brom, he would prefer a permanent switch after making just 15 appearances for City.

Possible destinations for Sinclair look to be Newcastle, Everton and Stoke. New Potters manager Mark Hughes is hoping to bring in the former England international following an injury to American winger Brek Shea on the club’s United States tour. Another area for concern for Hughes is the fitness of his other left-winger Matthew Etherington, so Sinclair’s signature could alleviate the selection pressure on his left flank.

Elsewhere Pellegrini has been handed a welcome boost with regards the fitness of Sergio Aguero. The striker has yet to feature in any of City’s preseason fixtures thanks to a knee injury which has hampered him all summer. However reports from the club’s website are claiming that the Argentinean hit-man will be back in full training this week.

See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG

Related posts

Leave a Comment