Villas-Boas rejects talk of Tottenham title challenge

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has said that his side are not ready to make a push for the title despite making several major signings this summer, ESPN has reported.

Although they lost the talismanic Gareth Bale to Real Madrid, Tottenham spent around £100m during the summer, with the signings of defender Vlad Chiriches, midfielders Paulinho, Cristian Eriksen and Etienne Capoue, wingers Nacer Chadli and Erik Lamela and striker Roberto Soldado.

And despite making the huge investment, Villas-Boas believes that the team still needs to develop before attempting to win the Premier League. He said: “The circumstances are difficult. The investment that we have made raises expectations in people but what we have to do is create a team that bonds together.

That takes time and we see that our opponents are one step ahead as they have players who have been together for many years – that is an advantage that we don’t have. I think we have invested a lot in young players that have real potential. Obviously we will have to work with them to make sure they develop into the world stars that we think they can become.

Tottenham have so far taken six points from a possible nine, after narrow victories over Crysatal Palace and Swansea City, and a defeat away to rivals Arsenal in the North London derby. Ahead of Saturday’s game with Norwich City, their only league goals have come from Soldado penalties.

See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Tottenham v Norwich

Related posts

Leave a Comment