Tottenham’s Defoe not for sale, insists Villas-Boas

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has said that he will not consider selling striker Jermain Defoe in January, Sky Sports has reported, despite the fact the England man has only started one league game this season.

Throughout last season, Defoe was largely first-choice, scoring 15 goals in 43 appearances as competed with Emmanuel Adebayor to play as the lone striker. This time around, while Adebayor has been cast aside, £26m summer signing Roberto Soldado has been ahead of Defoe in Villas-Boas’ thinking, but has only scored once from open play in the Premier League so far.

Meanwhile, Defoe has been in fine goalscoring form in the cup competitions, with his goal in Thursday’s 2-1 victory over Sheriff taking his tally to nine from eight starts, albeit against weaker opposition than most of the sides that Soldado has come up against.

Although he has been reluctant to include Defoe in the starting line-up for most Premier League games this season, Villas-Boas believes that the 31-year-old’s future lies at White Hart Lane. When asked if Defoe could leave the club, he said: “No, I don’t think so.

We are pretty happy with the goals he is producing. He is on nine goals already so it is a great start for him and it doesn’t change our perspective regarding his position in the team.’

Villas-Boas went on to discuss the contribution of both Defoe and Soldado, adding: “We’ve been rotating. I’m extremely happy with both, it is just a question of deciding what is better on a specific date and regarding specific strategies.

“Obviously everyone wants to play consecutively and get matches in the Premier

League. But we have found comfort playing in this system and we have three strikers competing for that position and it hasn’t been easy for any of them.”

See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Tottenham v Newcastle

Related posts