Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has defended his decision to keep Hugo Lloris on the field after suffering a head injury against Everton last week, despite Lloris being unable to play on Sunday at White Hart Lane, writes ESPN.
The Spurs boss wanted to start Lloris for the visit of Newcastle on Sunday, but medical staff suggested the game came too early for the French keeper, who was assessed by the Tottenham team. Having failed the ImPACT test, which assesses memory and reaction speeds, Villas-Boas had not option but to play Brad Friedel instead.
Villas-Boas was quick to defend his decision to keep Lloris on the pitch last weekend. He said: “Clinically and medically all the signs were that the player was ready to play.
“It was down to the ImPACT test – the medical staff value it a lot. They felt it was too soon and I had to stick to what they said. In the incident last week we did everything according to the book.”
Lloris is however expected to travel with the France squad for their World Cup play-off on Friday in Ukraine.
Friedel conceded the only goal of the game when Loic Remy rounded the American to earn Newcastle all three points on Saturday, a result that Villas-Boas described as ‘unfair’.
See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG