New Southampton chairwoman Katharina Liebherr has insisted that none of the club’s players will be allowed to leave in January despite the departure of her predecessor, Nicola Cortese, writes BBC
When Cortese revealed his resignation on Wednesday, the futures of several Southampton players seemingly became under threat, with young left-back Luke Shaw, striker Rickie Lambert and captain Adam Lallana all linked with moves away from the South coast.
But Liebherr, the daughter of former chairman Marcus, who died in 2010, said: “The club has no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window. The manager and the team have my full support.”
Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino has already stated that he will stay with the club in the wake of Cortese’s exit, but will decide on his long-term future at the end of the current season, having previously said that he would resign if Cortese did the same.
And on Friday, Pochettino discussed the attitude of his players amid all of the speculation. He said: “It’s hard to predict what is going to be the effect on the players. It’s clear that it may affect the players as they all have varying degrees of relationship with Nicola Cortese, and of course his leaving may affect us in some way.”
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Sunderland v Southampton