Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is already beginning to plan his January transfer business after finding out that he will be backed when the window reopens, reports the Daily
The news comes after the Scot held talks with recently appointed chief executive Tom Fox, where he received assurances that owner Randy Lerner will be prepared to open his chequebook in the New Year.
The American put the club up for sale back in May, but has so far been unable to find a buyer. As a result, there have been rumours in recent weeks that Lerner could decide to remain in control of the West Midlands club, having financed the August signing of Carlos Sanchez and the new contracts to Gabriel Agbonlahor, Alan Hutton, and indeed Lambert.
Ahead of Saturday’s visit to Premier League leaders Chelsea, Lambert said: ‘I’ve spoken to Tom Fox about January and whether we need to do something. It depends on personnel and injuries and ultimately the decision will come from the chairman.
‘He’s never once said: ‘you can’t do x, y and z’. You put it to him and if he thinks it’s too dear he says no. If he thinks it’s fine then fine. ‘Randy’s been great, really supportive. I don’t get any indication he will take the club off the market. I still think if someone comes in and makes an offer to make Aston Villa stronger and it is right for the chairman it will happen.’
See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Chelsea v Aston Villa