Further setback for Newcastle’s Siem De Jong

Newcastle United’s attacking midfielder Siem De Jong has been handed a further setback in his attempts to regain fitness after he suffered a collapsed lung last week, the BBC has reported.

Having signed for the St James’ Park side for £6m in the summer De Jong has suffered rotten luck with injuries and has made just three first team appearances since joining the club.

Most recently the Dutch international had been recovering from a torn thigh muscle picked up way back in early September in a training session.

The 26-year-old was said to finally be closing in on a return to first team action before he suffered the collapsed lung – having surgery on Thursday last week in a bid to correct the problem.

This is the second time the player has had this happen to him in 18 months but the player remains hopeful that surgery will prevent yet another repeat of the condition.

He said: “After months of hard work getting back to full fitness, it is such bad luck to suffer another setback.

“We are all hopeful that the surgery I have had will ensure I don’t have any repeat of the condition in the future.

“It’s very sad for me personally, especially since I was almost back in contention and feeling great.

“I’m sorry for my team-mates, the club and our fans that I’m not able to help the team for a little while longer.”

It is thought the former Ajax player will have to spend another eight weeks on the side lines before he can return to training.

See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Man City v Newcastle

Related posts

Leave a Comment