Ex-Man United ‘keeper hints Schneiderlin deal is done, despite Koeman rejecting first bid

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has confirmed that the south coast club did reject an offer from Manchester United for Morgan Schneiderlin two weeks ago, however there has been no contact between the two sides since, the Metro report.

READ MORE:
Manchester United News and Gossip
Sergio Ramos agrees five-year deal with Manchester United, according to reports
Man United winger Angel Di Maria to miss the start of the season

The Metro suggest that the French midfielder missed training on Monday, fuelling speculation that a move to Old Trafford was nearing completion. However, Koeman explained that while Louis van Gaal’s men have previously confirmed an interest by making a bid – which the Metro suggest was £20m – nothing has since happened, and the anchor man was simply missing through illness.

“Two weeks ago we had a bid from Manchester United and it wasn’t enough,” he said.

“There have been no more bids,” he added.

The Dutchman’s insistence that Schneiderlin is no closer to becoming a Manchester United player conflicts with suggestions made by former United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich, who has claimed that there is now just one outcome to this saga (via Daily Express).

“Morgan Schneiderlin is pretty much a done deal, that will go ahead from what I’ve heard,” the Australian said.

Although the 25-year-old managed to rebuild his rapport with his current side following the events of last summer – where he threatened to go on strike unless he got a move to either Tottenham or Arsenal (via Metro) – it appears that he has completely burnt his bridges with the club where he has spent the last seven years.

He previously stated that he wants to play in the Champions League (via Daily Mail), which without serious investment, is probably beyond Saints for the time-being, meaning a move is necessary if he wishes to play in the competition.

And his desire to get to that level has probably been ramped up in the past few hours, after former France coach Raymond Domenech insisted that he needs to be playing in Europe’s premier club competition if he wishes to become a crucial part of the national side ahead of Euro 2016, which will take place on home soil (via Independent).

He explained: “If he wants to be with the French national team, then he has to be in this Champions League – but if he stays at Southampton, no luck.”

Related posts

Leave a Comment