Here is Wednesday’s news and gossip concerning Arsenal:
They were unhappy to pay £50m for a 28-year-old, and felt that they would not make enough of that price back when they go on to sell him.
Arsene Wenger’s side also failed in their attempts to bring Juventus striker Simone Zaza to the Emirates, according to the Daily Express.
The Old Lady told the club that the 24-year-old would cost £22.1m which put the north London side off a move.
The Arsenal Supporters’ Trust have called for the club’s board to open an inquiry as to why the side failed to add to their one signing this summer, the Daily Mirror report.
Their move for Petr Cech meant that they were the only side from the top five major European leagues not to sign an outfield player during this window.
And their sentiments have been echoed by former defender Martin Keown, who believes that while the cost of the stadium may have previously prevented big-money moves, there is no reason why the club have failed to add their squad during this window, the Daily Star report.
“There’s a frustration now because they had to lower their expectations because of the expenditure on the stadium – now there’s no excuse in those terms,” he said.
Finally, some Arsenal fans tried to arrange a protest outside the Emirates yesterday due to the frustration of their lack of transfer activity, only for no-one to actually turn up, the Daily Mirror report.