Cristiano Ronaldo will be available to face his former club Manchester United in the Champions League next month after being handed a one-match ban by Uefa for his red card against Valencia.
The governing body has confirmed the Juventus forward will be suspended for only a single game – against Young Boys in Turin – after its control, ethics and disciplinary board decided not to increase the automatic penalty at a meeting on Thursday.
A Uefa statement said: “The CEDB has decided to suspend the Juventus player Cristiano Ronaldo for one Uefa competition match for which he would be otherwise eligible.”
Ronaldo was sent off during last week’s win at the Mestalla for an off-the-ball clash with Jeison Murillo in what appeared to be a harsh decision by the referee, Felix Brych. The 33-year-old left the field in tears on his debut in the competition for Juventus after seeming only to touch Murillo’s head.
The Juve manager, Massimiliano Allegri, said VAR – which is not being used in the Champions League until next season – might have led to a different decision.
Ronaldo spent six years at United, during which he won the European Cup in 2008. He has previously returned to Old Trafford, playing there for Real Madrid in March 2013. Juventus face José Mourinho’s team in Manchester on 23 October.