Martinez deal not done yet, insist Everton

Everton have played down comments from Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan that suggested the Merseyside club was close to appointing Latics boss Roberto Martinez as successor to David Moyes, ESPN has reported.

Whelan revealed on Monday evening that the two clubs had agreed a compensation figure for the Spaniard and that Martinez had told him his talks with the Toffees had gone well, with Martinez understood to be one of the final three names in the frame. Porto’s Vitor Pereira and ex-Schalke boss Ralf Rangnick are also thought to be contenders although Martinez is the favourite.

Nevertheless, Everton released a statement on Monday evening that urged caution over reports Martinez was set to fill the vacancy at Goodison Park. It said: “ In response to regrettable and somewhat premature reports earlier this evening, Everton Football Club are continuing discussions with regards to the vacant managerial position.

Whilst positive moves are being made, the Club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed.

ESPN add that negotiations between Martinez and Everton are expected to continue on Tuesday as the former Swansea City boss seeks to agree personal terms with Everton owner Bill Kenwright. Martinez is expected to be succeeded at Wigan by either former Bolton Wanderers boss Owen Coyle or ex-England manager Steve McClaren.

Martinez has previously confirmed his intention to leave Wigan this summer after the club was relegated from the Premier League at the end of the season, despite winning the FA Cup against Manchester City. Martinez’s Wigan knocked out Everton at the quarter-final stage of the competition, winning 3-0 at Goodison.

See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG

Related posts