Fulham boss Magath denies rift with Bent

Fulham manager Felix Magath has said he has not fallen out with striker Darren Bent, Sky Sports has reported.

Bent was an unused substitute during the Cottagers’ 3-1 defeat against Everton at Craven Cottage on Sunday with Magath preferring teenagers Moussa Dembele, Cauley Woodrow and Patrick Roberts.

It was later claimed that Bent was unfit but the forward, on-loan from Aston Villa, denied that was the case. Bent did miss the 1-1 draw with West Brom in February after a death in the family and has featured only sporadically since.

“There are no problems with Darren,” Magath insisted. “We had a special situation and he had some days off for private reasons and that unsettled him. He didn’t join us for the game against West Brom so there were a few things that were not really good.

“On Friday he stopped training and left the pitch to see the medical staff. He didn’t train. On Saturday he was better and he told me ‘I’m fine’ so I decided to name him on the bench because he’s a player we need.

“But the risk of letting him play was too high because he had been unable to train on Friday. It’s normal you have discussion about such things.”

It has also been suggested that Magath is already facing the sack after failing to arrest Fulham’s slide to the Championship. Such speculation is unhelpful, according to the German, who was appointed in February.

“Now somebody was writing I’m out. You always have such subjects where nobody knows where it comes from. It doesn’t matter,” Magath said. “[Owner Shahid Khan] came to me on Tuesday and we talked together. It’s fine for me.”

See what the expert tipsters at OLBG are tipping on Aston Villa v Fulham

Related posts

Leave a Comment