Meulensteen still at Man Utd under Moyes

First team coach at Manchester United, Rene Meulensteen, has told Dutch sources that he is still employed by the club and believes that will still be the case when he returns in July.

Football365.com believes the 49-year-old might have joined the coaching exodus at Old Trafford since Sir Alex Ferguson’s decision to retire last month.

Former assistant manager Mike Phelan has been sacked, along with the goalkeeping coach Eric Steele, as David Moyes brings in his own backroom team. They potentially include his assistant manager from Everton, Steve Round and a likely post for ex-Red Devils defender Phil Neville.

However, Meulensteen insists he will report for duty as normal at the start of July.

He said to ELF Voetbal, a Dutch football magazine: “>o>So far I will report on July 1. I am still under contract at the club. I didn’t step down, and also I was not sacked by Manchester United. I am still employed.”

Meulensteen has previous managerial experience with Brondby in Denmark and a stint in charge of Al-Sadd in the Middle East.

His name has been heavily linked with the Wigan managerial post, alongside Steve McClaren, Owen Coyle, who has been out of work since leaving Bolton last October, and Karl Robinson, who is considering his future with the Milton Keynes Dons.

See what the expert tipsters are tipping on OLBG

Related posts